About a month ago, Jesse and I took Sebastian to a carnival at an elementary school and stumbled upon their book sale room. Neither of us can resist cheap, old books, especially beautifully illustrated ones. These beauties set us back about 50 cents each. Even though they had been much loved by generations of elementary school students, I still find that an amazing bargain for such fantastically illustrated works.

Paddy the Penguin. Words and pictures by Paul Galdone. 1959.


 White Snow Bright Snow. Written by Alvin Tressel and illustrated by Roger Duvoisin. 1947. The florescent limited colors and simple gestural line work really knock me out!


Ape in a Cape. Words and Pictures by Fritz Eichenberg. 1952.



The Ringling Brothers. Written by Molly Cone and illustrated by James and Ruth McCrea. 1971. I absolutely LOVE everything about this one. I think I need to research more work by this husband and wife illustration team.


 Anatole and the Piano. Written by Eve Titus and illustrated by Paul Galdone. 1966. The original Anatole book was one of my favorites when I was a child, so I was extra excited to pick up this continuation of the story.





Vintage Children's Books

Posted on

6.18.2014

Leave a Reply

Comment will appear shortly after being approved by author.