The weekend before last, my Grandma Rice turned 90 years old, so Jesse and I drove up to Grand Island, NY to celebrate with my family. I love looking through people's photo albums and imagining all of the events captured in snapshots. Looking through my Grandmother's meticulously numbered and labeled albums was especially a treat. It's wild seeing people who you only identify under the labels grandma and grandpa as young kids with their whole lives still ahead of them.

There were certain images I didn't want to forget so I took some quick snapshots with my point-and-shoot digital camera as we were on our way out the door. Excuse the blurriness, but I think they're too romantic not to share.

My grandmother, Wanda, and with her two sisters in the photo on the left.

My grandfather, Fred, attended high school with my grandmother's sister. He'd been lifelong friends with her boyfriend (my future great uncle). From what I've been told, after returning home from WWII and getting a look at the above photo, he decided he wanted to meet my grandmother once she returned home from the Navy WAVES. I am eternally grateful you were able to rock that two piece so well, Grandma.



They got married on July 12th, 1947 and remained together until my grandfather passed away three years ago, one day before their 60th wedding anniversary. Jesse and I decided to get married on the same date in the hopes of having such good marriage luck. During our visit, we actually got to watch some old film footage of their wedding (in color!) that had been lost for years.


My grandparents had four kids right in a row, with my mom as their eldest. These photos from some of their early birthday parties cracked me up. My uncles were the best at hamming it up for the cameras.

Grand Island is 15 minutes away from Niagara Falls, so we had to stop and see them on our first night in town. If you visit, make sure to check out the huge statue of Nicola Tesla! My mom took this photo of Jesse and I on the American side of the falls. Hopefully we'll be lucky enough in 60 years or so to someday have a future family member look at it in the same way that I look at my grandma's photos.

Happy 90 years, Wanda Rice. Thanks for sharing your photos with us.

Old Family Photos and Niagara Falls

Posted on

4.28.2010

Leave a Reply

Comment will appear shortly after being approved by author.