Sorry for the absence yesterday. I've been working non-stop on a couple of illustration jobs the last couple of days.

The first one was a quick assignment for Double X's (Slate.com's sister blog) Father's Day edition about stressed-out dads:


I normally don't color digitally, but Slate and Double X needs their illustrations to go from idea to final in just a couple of hours, and I can paint much faster digitally than with the real stuff. Also, since its final destination is a small thumbnail on the web instead of in a glossy magazine, the flat colors seem to show up better.

The second assignment was for The Baltimore City Paper -an article about where the future of movie distribution (how things like netflix, video-on-demand, and movie downloads are impacting independant theaters and rental shops):

(click to enlarge)

I like certain parts of both illustrations, but I'm not completely satisfied with either. I'm not sure if it's due to the tight deadlines, experimenting with different materials or what, but that's been happening with a lot of my illustration work lately. It may also be because I've been working more in my sketchbook and I'm having a hard time translating that to my assignments. Either way, it's extremely frustrating. I have a hard time separating work from the rest of my life since so much of me is invested in my drawings. So unfortunately, when I'm dissatisfied with my work, I'm not the easiest person to be around. I'm sure that other people have this issue, too, I just wish I knew an easier way to deal with it. If you have any suggestions, please share. In the meantime, I'm deal with it the best way that I know how - keep experimenting and working my way through it until I reach a breakthrough.

Blah

Posted on

6.23.2009

Leave a Reply

Comment will appear shortly after being approved by author.